A 2020 study found that more than 37 million people in the world had HIV at that time. That’s a staggering number and one that we need to reduce.
HIV is known for the health problems it can cause, especially when left untreated. Therefore, it’s important to take action to ensure you never get it in the first place.
Want to reduce your risk of HIV? PrEP can help! Read on to find out how using PrEP for HIV can make all the difference.
What Is PrEP?
PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. It’s a prescription medicine that lowers the risk of HIV when having sex or injecting drugs. It’s highly effective when taken as prescribed daily.
By taking PrEP, you can relax knowing that your sex is safe and you can have as much as you want.
Does PrEP for HIV Work?
PrEP works by preventing the HIV virus from multiplying and therefore from causing an infection.
It’s so effective that in populations more susceptible to HIV, it can lower the chance of getting it from between 92% and 99%. However, if you fail to take the amount prescribed, PrEP won’t work the same.
While there’s no data to show how long PrEP takes to reach its maximum benefit, here are some helpful facts we do have:
- After 7 days, the greatest protection’s received for vaginal sex
- At around 21 days, PrEP offers maximum protection for anal sex
Who Should Take PrEP?
PrEP should be used by anyone engaging in unprotected sex, but there are also some other situations where it provides benefits.
Where there’s a high risk of HIV, you should take PrEP when having sex. This includes if you’re:
- Having sex with more than one person
- In a relationship and your partner has HIV
- Engaging in sex with your partner who’s injected drugs within the last six months
- Someone who’s shared needles for drug use up to six months before
- Unsure if your partner has HIV but know they’ve shared needles in the past
What Are the Benefits of PrEP for HIV?
There are several benefits to taking PrEP, both for you and your partner. Not only can it protect you from HIV, but it can also:
- Be convenient to use as you only have to take one pill every day
- Give you confidence knowing that you’re controlling your risk and keeping it low
- Provide a sense of comfort if you’re a higher-risk person
- Allow you the option for a baby if either you or your partner has HIV
At Swell Clinic, we offer appointments for PrEP virtually so that you can take advantage from the comfort of your home.
Let’s Get You Started With PrEP Here
Worried about HIV? Fear that you or your partner might be at risk of getting it? PrEP could be the answer! We’ve shown you the pros of PrEP for HIV and how to know when it might be right for you.
If you think you could benefit from PrEP, contact us today! We’ll get you started, so you can have sex and enjoy it freely.